Monday, July 9, 2012

Dyed Jean Shorts

Tye dying is about as far as I have ever gotten with dying clothes. I figured it was time to branch out a bit. Well considering it's in the high 90's everywhere in the country right now shorts are a must! I prefer darker denim shorts so these became the victim of my dying experiment. Initially I tried bleaching the shorts to get an all over white but the bleach did nothing. After reading into it more I found out bleaching lighter wash denim is virtually impossible. So I took a chance and dyed them as is. I actually really love how they turned out. The blue tint is pretty cool looking.


Supplies:
Pair of shorts
Dye (I used Rit dye in fuchsia)
A bucket (you can dye them in the sink also)
Large measuring cup filled with HOT water
Cooking spoon to stir with
Salt (optional)
Gloves

Step 1: Fill a measuring cup (or any large cup) with hot water. Begin filling the bucket. The measuring cup I used goes up to 4 cups so in total I used about 12 cups of water. The amount of water isn't very important just make sure the clothing is completely submerged.

Step 2: Put the shorts into the hot water to get them wet. Ring them out and set aside.


Step 3: Add the dye to the water. I used about half of the packet of dye. I figured I didn't need the entire thing for a pair of shorts.


Step 4: Add salt to the mix. The instructions recommended 1 cup but since I was not using the entire packet I went with 1/4 cup. Stir.


Step 5: If you are not already doing so put the gloves on. Otherwise you will be sporting pink fingers. Submerge the shorts into the dye. I took my spoon and stirred them up for a bit and then made sure they were completely submerged. Now let them sit for as long as desired. I left mine in the dye for about 10 minutes. Flip them occasionally.

Step 6: Rinse the shorts in warm water until the water becomes clear.

Step 7: Now just throw them in the wash and your good to go!


Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment