Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Men's Button Down Refashion


My dad has lost a ton of weight over the past year. He is more fit now then he was in his 20's. I am so unbelievably proud of him. Well I called dibs on all of his old clothes. Two giant trash bags filled with clothes to be exact. The top above was from the collection. I love the challenge of making something old completely new again. Plus it saves money on buying fabric. This top turned out to be very versatile as well. You will see why below. Now lets get started.

Supplies:
Men's shirt
Scissors
Pins
Seam ripper

Step 1: Begin my tugging on the sleeve to find the seams. Remove both sleeves.


Step 2: Next lay your shirt on a flat surface. Note: I took this picture before I had taken off the sleeves so make sure you have done so at this point.


Step 3: You can either do this free hand or like I did and lay a shirt on top. The purpose of this is to cut the shirt at the length you want.


Step 4: Cut the collar out of your shirt.


Step 5: Now you want to trim the collar area so it will have a nice shape. I did this freehand but you can lay another shirt with the collar look you like on top as a guide.


Step 6: I cut out the back first in Step 5. As you can see there is little triangles left where the back meets the front. I lined up my scissors so that I cut where I left off at the back.


Step 7: Try the shirt on inside out and pinch the fabric just underneath your armpit and mark that area. You are creating new sleeves by doing this. Now take off the shirt and pin down in a straight line from the mark you have just made. I would suggest trying on the shirt to make sure it fits right before going on to the next step.

Step 8: Now simply hem the bottom of the shirt, sleeves, the sides, and the new neck line. Do the standard 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch seam for these areas.



You can simply tuck it in or tie it at the front for other variations.


Hope you guys like it!
Happy sewing :)


No comments:

Post a Comment