Friday, July 27, 2012

Starry Night Canvas Light



Let me start by saying I am totally thrilled by how this turned out. Canvas lighting is gorgeous to begin with but I thought why not take it up a notch. Starry night is hands down my favorite piece of art work ever! I remember seeing it for the first time as a child, and even then being in complete awe of it. Just the name alone made it seem like the perfect piece of art work to try this out on. I really want to find a print of sleeping fairies in trees or something like that for a little girls room. I think it would make the perfect night light art for any child's room. Now this was a bit pricey compared to other crafts I have done in the past but in my opinion very worth it!

Supplies:
Canvas (mine was a 16x20 but any size will do)
Christmas lights (I found a 20 string of lights to be perfect and only 1.99 at hobby lobby)
A print in the same size as your canvas (my print was from Michael's for 8.99)
Mod Podge
Foam brush
Knife or other sharp object to poke the holes
Heavy books
Tape (optional)


Step 1: Begin my applying a coat of mod podge onto the canvas. Try not to go too thick. A light coat will do.

Step 2: Try to line up the print the best you can on to the canvas. Smooth out any bumps.


Step 3: Place the canvas face down onto a table or other hard surface. Begin stacking books onto the canvas. This will flatten the print out more and keep any bumps out. Let dry for 24 hours.


Step 4: Now take a knife and poke holes where desired into the back of the canvas. Try not to make them too big that way you can just squeeze the lights through and they won't sag down. I made my holes by finding the point on the front of my canvas where I wanted the light to come through. I then poked the knife from the back to where my finger was. 

Step 5: After I had put the lights through I decided to leave a few in the back just to illuminate the canvas more from the back. I taped the strands down a bit to hold them in place.


Now plug in the lights and there you have it! This last picture is how it will look completely in the dark. Cool huh?

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment