Thursday, October 25, 2012

Polka dot dress refashion


Today's post is a simple dress refashion. All I did was detach the halter part from the skirt. Sew in a casing for an elastic waistband and bam! Now it is a wonderful, flowy skirt.


Supplies:
Dress
Seam ripper
Elastic band


Step 1: Begin by detaching the top of the dress with your seam ripper. Note: If your dress has elastic around the back like mine also remove the elastic using your seam ripper.


Step 2: Now decide on the length you want your skirt to be and fold over the top to create a casing. Be sure to leave an opening at the end to feed your elastic through. I didn't cut off the extra from my folding until after I had sewn my casing so make sure your fold is the right size for the elastic to fit in.


Step 3: Take your elastic and wrap it around your waist or where you want the skirt to sit. I always add an extra inch or two so it's a bit snug. Now attach a safety pin to one of the ends and begin feeding your elastic through your casing.

Step 4: Over lap the ends of your elastic once it has been feed through and sew several times back and forth so it is secure. Do this on the other end as well where it is overlapping.

Step 5: Now stretch out the skirt in order for the elastic to return inside of the casing. Sew the hole closed that you fed the elastic through. And your done!



Too much light equals foggy looking glasses...I suppose that's what I get for taking pictures at the worst time of day. Oh well!

Hope you guys like it.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment