Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Glittered fruit christmas decor


Like most people on the planet I am obsessed with Pinterest. I always catch myself saying "Now why didn't I think of that?". There are so many brilliant ideas out there and I happened to come across this one. It didn't take long for me to run to the dollar store and pick up some fake fruit. I went with the pears. I refer to these now as "sugar pears". Yeah I'm a dork. These were kind of tedious but very worth it in my opinion. Until I get my Christmas decorations out this weekend, these will be the star attraction of my coffee table. Hope you like it!


Supplies:
Fake plastic fruit
Mod podge
Glitter
Foam brush (more than 1 if you are planning on using different colored glitter)
Dish for your mod podge
Paper plates


Step 1: Pour a fair amount of mod podge into your glass dish. I made the mistake of dipping my brush into the bottle and ended up getting glitter into it. Luckily I got all of it out.


Step 2: Dip your brush into the glue and begin dabbing it onto the fruit. Cover only one side at this time. (Note: In hindsight I would probably have purchased spray paint in gold and silver and sprayed the fruit before adding the glitter. This is only because I had to do two coats of glue & glitter to completely cover the orange color of the fruit. It isn't necessary of course but if you want to speed up the process than I would do so.)


Step 3: Holding your fruit over the plate, begin shaking your glitter on to the fruit. Shake off the excess. In order to save on glitter use another plate to hold your fruit over and dump the excess from the first plate onto it. Continue this until you have a nice coat of glitter. Let this side dry for at least 30 minutes before you do the other side. You can start on another piece of fruit in the mean time.


Be warned this is a very messy project! I took a dry brush and scraped the extra glitter that had gotten onto the table back onto the paper plates. I would suggest doing this regularly. Especially if you are switching glitter colors.

Step 4: Once you have done both sides of the fruit allow to dry at least another 30 minutes before applying another coat. Repeat the steps. Let dry fully for an hour before you put them on display.



I think I may take some brown acrylic paint and paint the stems.


What holiday crafts are a must for you this year?

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment