Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day 8: Meet our new garden!


Just over a month ago my Husband and I began working on our garden. I can't even begin to tell you how rewarding this has been. After laying out the garden, spreading manure, waiting 3 weeks, tilling, etc., we were ready to plant the seeds. Our work has paid off tremendously! In just a week we already have so many of our veggies & herbs sprouting. Even some that weren't supposed to make their debut for at least 2 weeks!!! I think we have some magical soil going on or something. The plants you see up top were the first to sprout. These are our radishes. They sprouted on day 5 after planting, which was right on schedule (anywhere from 4-6 days). The picture was taken today (day 8). I am already counting down the days until harvest time (4-6 weeks)! Now let me take you on a tour of our lovely new garden.


Here is another shot of the radishes. All of the seeds that were planted have sprouted.


These are the beets. You can see the stem has a beautiful red color.


On to the spinach, which I am very excited about. I can taste the yummy salads to be made already.


This is the broccoli. The broccoli just sprouted yesterday and has already had a huge growth spurt.


The cucumber also sprouted yesterday. I would never have thought this was the start of a cucumber seed.


We planted 3 varieties of basil. This is our lime basil.


Here is the genovese basil. Now we are waiting on the sweet basil.


This strange looking plant is a pea. It's hard to tell from the picture but it is actually laying on its side. I think it's still a bit top heavy at the moment. I can't wait to see it once it's standing.


Here is Trey checking out his handy work. He's so proud :)


The garden in full. Disregard the big heap which will soon become our compost pile. We will be relocating that soon.


This is not garden related but a beautiful flower that grows along my neighbors fence. Thought I might capture its beauty since it tends to bloom sporadically.


So pretty!


Oh and yes, I do have a magical bean stock in my back yard ;)


Then my garden photography turned into a full blow back yard exploration. I love how spooky this shot looks.


Last but not least some pretty little flowers.

This will be the start of the new "Grow" section on my blog. I hope you enjoyed my garden tour. Check back next week for the another installment.

Happy growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment