Monday, January 21, 2013

1940's inspired women's trousers


Over the holidays my sister-in-law Tiffany wore quite possibly the cutest outfit ever! She has such a laid back style mixed with a classic yet modern flair. She goes by her own rules which I love. I wish I had snuck a picture of her from that night but basically I recreated it above (except she was rocking some awesome red flats, which I do not own). It had 1940's written all over it and I knew I either had to buy, thrift, refashion, or quite possibly steal the very pants she wore. Luckily it did not resort to that. I came across a pair of pants my dad had given me and got to work. I hope I didn't embarrass you too much Tiff, but hey you deserve the shout out. I am your secret fashion fan!




Supplies:
Men's trousers
Pins
Thread
Scissors
Seam ripper


Step 1: Take your seam ripper and detach your waistband from the pants. I removed the belt loops but that is up to you.


Step 2: Place the waistband around your waist or wherever you want the pants to rest. Pinch the excess fabric around the back center seam and mark (pin) this area. This is where you will be taking in the waistband from. Sew along this area.


Step 3: Turn your pants inside out and put them on. Pinch the sides around your hips on both sides of the pants. Pin this area. Now pin all the way down to the bottom of your leg keeping the same distance you pinned away from the seam to the bottom of the leg. Sew along this area on both sides.


Here is a view of my stitch down the pants leg (see how the outer part of my presser foot is running alongside the original stitching). Remember to try and keep the same distance all the way down your leg and follow the original seam of the pants. You don't want to lose the original baggy shape of the pants.


Step 4: Pin your waistband back onto your pants and sew all the way around.





Having pants with usable pockets is pretty darn practical. Hence why my hands did not leave them for a single shot.

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment