Thursday, January 10, 2013

Celtic knot canvas art


Let me begin by saying please forgive me for my horribly uneven hanging job. Usually these areas are jobs for Trey but I couldn't bring myself to wait until he was off work. Now that the elephants out of the room we can proceed. I bought a 4 pack of canvases at Michael's ages ago and have let them sit around until I could figure out a worthy use. The day has finally come! I bought a celtic knot stencil, royal blue acrylic paint, and went to town. I am so pleased with the turn out. Our room is a dark dungeon which is great for sleeping but not very appealing to the eye. I decided that these canvases would be a great way to add a pop of color to the walls.




Supplies:
Canvases
Acrylic paint (I used royal blue)
Stencil (I purchased the celtic knot stencil from hobby lobby)
Plate for your paint
Sponge brush
Newspaper for the mess
Blow dryer (to speed up the drying process)


Step 1: Begin my measuring your stencil to see how much space your stencil will cover. In order for my pattern to be even I began by using a third of my stencil and ended with a third also. See above.

Step 2: I chose a sponge brush to apply my paint but you can do it with a paint brush for more precision. After each application I washed my stencil to keep the canvas as clean as possible. This is pretty time consuming but worth it.


Step 3: Use your blow dryer on a low setting to dry the paint and move on to your next design.


Step 4: After finishing my top row I continued the pattern in between to the top two. Now just repeat all the steps until you have finished.


Note: Always remain on high alert when you have furry critters around. He knocked my cup of tea over onto my canvas. He's lucky he's so darn cute!


This was the first completed canvas.


The finished product! See what I mean about the uneven hanging haha. Geometry was never my strong suit.


This was just what my room needed. I couldn't be happier.

Happy Crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment