Monday, January 14, 2013

Low back peplum top refashion


I am so pleased with how this turned out. I have been dieing for a peplum top for ages now and a low back top so I decided to fuse the two ideas together. I used a mens large polo shirt for this project which turned out to be just the right amount of fabric.





Supplies:
Men's polo shirt (at least a large)
White thread
Scissors
Pins
Fabric pencil or just a regular one


Step 1: Put your shirt on and mark just below your belly button or wherever you would like the peplum part of your top to begin. Cut the shirt horizontally at this line. You should now have two separate pieces.


Step 2: Now turn your shirt inside out and put it on. Pinch just underneath your armpit and mark the area with a fabric pencil.  Work your way down your sides (and the sleeves) doing the same and marking as you go. Take the shirt off and pin where you made marks. Try the shirt on again to make sure everything fits well. Now cut off the extra fabric and begin sewing along your pins. I like to start at the bottom and work my way up to the armpit and along the sleeves.


Step 3: Here is a shot of how my sleeves looked after sewing. Try it on again to make sure everything fits as desired.


Step 4: Take your bottom half and gather it on your machine. You can use elastic if you prefer and do pleats.


Step 5: Hold your top shirt by the bottom and make sure it is inside out. Now take your bottom half of the shirt slip it inside and align side seams. Your bottom half of the shirt should be right side out.


Step 6: Pin along the edge and sew.

Step 7: I didn't take pictures of the final steps but all I did was cut out my collar and where it buttons which left a slight V. I decided to make this part the back and cut a deeper V. I also seam ripped out the tag in the back. Then i just pinned and hemmed along new neck line and down the back.


Oh and it's kind of hard to tell but I tried out a bow bun hairstyle I saw on pinterest and it was super easy!!! My hair isn't quite long enough but it still worked pretty well. No more boring buns for me. In case your interested the link is here!

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. This is adorable! I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and this looks like a great project for me to try out. (I'm a beginner at sewing.) :)

    ReplyDelete