Saturday, June 22, 2013

DIY stamped clutch


As ridiculous as this may sound, this is my first ever clutch! I've been in dire need of one for quite sometime. When I saw Hobby Lobby had plain canvas style ones on sale, I immediately rushed over to buy one. There have been so many cute stamped and stenciled projects lately. Like this one from the lovely Jen on Tea for Two. It was high time I joined the club. I was nervous about using a stamp rather then a stencil but I wanted that detailed look you get when using stamps. I'm happy to say it worked perfectly! I went with black fabric paint and it did the job. Just wait till you see the back side, that's my personal favorite!






Canvas clutch
Sponge brush
Fabric paint
Feather stamp
Pencil with eraser


Step 1: Add a small layer of your fabric paint to the brush and apply directly to your stamp.


Step 2: Place your stamp onto your clutch and press down. I went with an alternating pattern. Disregard the polka dots, this comes in on the next step.


Step 3: Using your eraser, dip the end into the paint and press onto your clutch. Once you have finished one side and it has dried completely, repeat on the other side. Note: I would recommend using a new eraser. Sadly I only had this wonky one which led to my dots not being very uniform.


Who would have thought polka dots & feathers would go together so nicely ;)

Happy crafting!

10 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I love the combo of the feathers and spots. I want one now! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! It's super easy and fun. I bought an extra canvas clutch so I can't wait to spruce that one up a bit too. X

      Delete
  2. So cute! Perfect for summer :)

    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennah! My thoughts exactly ;)

      Delete
  3. i adored it! really cute clutch:)

    i have a diy website also. if you would like to see:

    http://muguettt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love your site. What great projects!

      Delete
  4. Holy! Absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's still one of my favorite projects. I have another like this that I need to do something cute with.

      Delete
  5. Where do you find canvas clutches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,
      I bought mine from Hobby Lobby. I'd imagine Micheal's would carry something similar also. I was at my local Hobby Lobby recently and they are still carrying the clutches. Hope that helps!

      Delete