Friday, August 16, 2013

High-low skirt refashion



I have to admit I was extremely scared when it came to this skirt. You look at it and think "Yeah, simple enough", but the whole high-low element freaked me out. I scoured tons of tutorials on cutting the fabric. My first practice run on a t-shirt didn't go so well. It came out very diamond shaped. I literally cut the shirt into nothing making sure I had the cutting technique down. I'm happy to say that my practice paid off! I decided to go with a more subtle high-low cut. Especially since the skirt was kind of short to begin with. The skirt was originally a dress I was given. I simply removed the top half of my dress with a seam ripper and utilized the rest as a skirt. 

I had to enlist the help of my beautiful little sister for this project. You may remember her from this previous post. Yeah she's pretty darn adorable! Well I tried on this skirt and let me just say it didn't look very flattering on my prego belly. Lucky for me she was willing to help out. She's the best!



Supplies:
Dress (preferably one with a waistband like mine)
Scissors
Elastic 
Thread

Step 1: Begin by removing the top half of your dress.


Step 2: With your skirt turned inside out, match up the side seams. Now cut along the bottom in the shape seen above. 

Step 3: Fold over your waistband and sew along. Be sure to leave a 2-3 inch gap so you can feed your elastic band through. Sew the opening closed. I decided not to hem the bottom since the fabric I was using doesn't fray. 


This was such an easy skirt to make! I'm really glad I didn't chicken out. Now I can't wait to be able to wear it next year.

Happy sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Georgia! I love your refashions and I'm now following you... everywhere!
    If you like, we have a pretty new Group Board on Pinterest, a Refashion Obsession: THE Mood Board. Would you like to pin as a contributor? Plz let me know!

    (PS: your sister is a good model too!!!)

    MammaNene @ SergerPepper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MammaNene! Thank you so much for the lovely compliment. It's always nice to hear such positive feedback. I would be HONORED to be a contributor. What is the best way to get in touch with you for the details?

      P.S. I will be sure to let my sister know. She says she always feels awkward lol.

      Georgia

      Delete