Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Crocheted t-shirt rug tutorial


There is something about crocheting that is very zen to me. Especially when I'm dealing with an easy, repetitive pattern like this. The rug is a series of single stitches. It doesn't get much easier than that! I wanted it to be bigger but ran out of shirts. Currently it is a 3 foot round rug but I'd like to make it 5 to really fill the open floor space in my craft room. I'll be getting some more grey shirts soon to finish it off. I'd also recommend using shirts without a side seam so you won't run the possibility of seeing it in a stitch. Most of my shirts I used didn't have a side seam but their were a few. I just used what I had on hand and it's not super noticeable, so it's up to you.



I won't go into too much detail with this but I wanted to give you a few basic resources. Dollar Store Crafts has a great tutorial on making t shirt yarn here. For starting the rug I used the magic circle method, here is a good video tutorial on that. I included a photo tutorial for doing a single crochet stitch below. I put it together on my phone so I hope it is clear enough. If not you can always use Google to find an instructional video.


Step 1: Insert your hook into the large open hole next to your current stitch.
Step 2: Wrap the yarn over your hook and pull back through the same hole.
Step 3: You should now have two loops on your hook.
Step 4: Wrap the yarn over your hook again and pull through both loops. You should end up having one loop again on your hook like in Step 1. Repeat.


I used a Q hook and 20 balls of T-shirt yarn made from shirts ranging in Small to XL sizes.


1st round: 6 sc (This will be your magic circle)

2nd round: 2 sc in each stitch (12 sc)
3rd round: *1 sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch. Repeat from * (18 sc)
4th round: *1 sc in next 2 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch. Repeat from * (24 sc)
5th round: *1 sc in next 3 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch. Repeat from * (30 sc)
6th round: *1 sc in next 4 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch. Repeat from * (36 sc)
7th round: *1 sc in next 5 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch. Repeat from * (42 sc)
8th round: *1 sc in next 6 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch. Repeat from * (48 sc)
9th round: *1 sc in next 7 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch. Repeat from * (54 sc)
10th round: *1 sc in next 8 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch. Repeat from * (60 sc)
Continue the pattern going up in increments of 6 total sc.
Overall, this is fairly self-explanatory. I didn't want this tutorial to be a mile long but if you'd like for me to send you the full pattern (for a 3 ft rug) send me a message and I'd be glad to do so. 

On a side note, when your switching to a new color just tie it on to the previous yarn.

Well I hear a little boy stirring from his nap now. Happy early Valentine's Day to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment