Monday, February 24, 2014

Romper to skater skirt tutorial



I'm quite sure I didn't need another skirt in my wardrobe but alas here we are. They are my go to outfit most days and now that the weather is back to normal summer conditions in Florida, I can resume my skirt wearing. I love how light and flowy it turned out to be. It's the perfect skirt to greet spring in! Which is only about a month away now for all of you still buried in snow. Woohoo! Once the sunshine returns here, I plan on getting outdoors with August and enjoying the warmth. He always loves our little strolls around the yard.



Supplies:
Romper or dress
Scissors
Elastic (I used 1/2 inch)
Thread
Seam ripper
Pins
Safety pin


Step 1: If your using a romper, begin by detaching the crotch area with your seam ripper.


Step 2: Cut the bottom half off at your desired length.


Step 3: Pinch the front seam down to the bottom forming a straight line. Do this to the back side also. Pin and sew. Cut off the excess fabric.


Step 4: Fold over the top of your skirt to form the casing for the elastic. Making your fold 5/8 inch (if your using the 1/2 inch elastic). Press and sew. Be sure to leave an opening large enough to insert elastic into.

Step 5: Attach your safety pin to the end of of the elastic. This makes feeding your elastic through your casing much easier. Overlap your elastic and sew, then sew the hole closed.


Someone wanted to get in on the action. He's such a cutie.

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment