Monday, November 24, 2014

Glitter Christmas trees


I cannot start off the Christmas season without busting out the glitter. There's nothing I love more than our home covered in glitter. No sarcasm there just pure love of all things sparkly. I have been looking around at different stores online for Christmas decor and came across some really cute glittered Christmas trees. Not 15 dollars cute. I grabbed my card stock, hot glue gun, glitter, and mod podge then got to work! It's so unbelievably easy (as long as you don't mind being covered in glitter). I even noticed that these would work as New Years party hats. Just punch two holes in the sides and attach thin elastic. There I have now covered both Christmas and New Years for you ;-)



Supplies:
Card stock (I used the brown I had on hand)
Scissors
Sponge brush
Mod Podge
Hot glue gun
Glitter
(Not pictured):
Skewers for the stars


Step 1: Begin by rolling your paper into a cone shape. Don't worry about it being uneven at the bottom. We will straighten that out next. Be sure to leave a small hole so you can fit your star on top. Using your glue gun, glue down the flap from the tip of the cone to the end as shown. *I initially used a glue stick but decided to go with the glue gun on the next tree for a better hold. The glue stick worked fine so it's what ever you prefer.


Step 2: Cut off the tips and work your way around the base until it is flat and even.


Step 3: Using your Mod Podge apply a thin layer on one side of the cone. I did it this way so the glue didn't have the chance to dry before I added the glitter.


Step 4: Sprinkle the glitter until you have covered all of the glue. Repeat this on the other side then allow to dry for about 15-20 minutes. Do a second coat of glue and glitter to make sure it is fully covered.


Step 5: Now I'm sure most of you are unlike me in the fact that I cannot cut out the shape of a star to save my life. I envy those of you who can. So I let my cricut do the hard work me. If your doing this by hand make sure you cut out two stars for each tree. I went ahead and cut out a bunch in case I need any for future crafting.


Step 6: Apply a dab of hot glue on the center of one of the stars and place the skewer on top. Lay your other star on top then add a little bit of glue all around the edges.


Step 7: Add a layer of mod podge to both sides of your star and finish it off with glitter. Allow the star to dry for at least 15-20 minutes. If you haven't already cut the skewer in half or to your desired length and insert it in the hole at the top of your tree.

And there you have it! Sweet and simple.

Happy crafting.

2 comments:

  1. I made some craft cone trees this year, as well, and love the idea of using a skewer and a star to top them! I think I can simply add that to what I've already made. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candace! I didn't think of the idea for the star until I started the trees. It was one of those stroke of genius moments haha.

      Delete